Thursday, April 27, 2006

Miss Handywoman 2006


Major life achievement # 54 - constructing furniture by myself!

On Sunday the weather was miserable, so I decided it was a good time to head to Argos (like Ikea but bigger and better). I picked up a bookcase and a bedside table for my room. Now the thing is, its pre packaged furniture that comes in a flat pack. You get the pieces cut to size, the nails, the dowel, the screws, the instructions... and then you're left to make it. I was considering calling my Dad to tell him I was making some furniture up, but I realised that I'd probably be drowned out at the other end with hysterical laughter. Yes, I am that bad. As in, I have trouble hammering a nail straight into a plank of wood.

When God was handing out the handyman gene I completely missed out, ironic seeing as Dad owns and runs a hardware store! I've never even taken a woodwork class in my life, banging together bits of wood was never my thing. I hate reading instructions and would much prefer to skip ahead or figure it out myself. Why I decided all of a sudden to make some furniture is beyond me?

I assumed making a 3 drawer bedside table and a bookcase would be a fairly simple exercise. After pulling all the contents from the boxes I began to get worried. There were things I didn't even know existed in there, plus some very complicated looking furniture manual. But I got stuck into it, without anyone's help or guidance.

A few days later and I have finally finished both pieces (with a few mistakes along the way, which have all been fixed). I have to say I'm pretty impressed with myself - who knew that the heel of your ballet flats could be used as a substitute for a hammer?! The bookcase is level, the nails are hammered in straight, the bedside drawers slide in perfectly and you can't actually tell that I put it together!

So here they are, made by me...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How good are these pieces of furniture! I can't believe you have done such a great job especially with your ballet flat as an assistant! Well done, Dad will be sooo impressed not to mention Pop! Love Mum xx

12:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am very impressed to !!!!!!!!1

2:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle, Pop would like you as an apprentice!!
You did a really good job much to everyones surprise!!!
You obviously had a great time in Paris. Kale says you need to say gidday more so people know you're an Aussie! Britt and Cody also say hi.
Love Nana and Pop, Kale Britt and Cody.

4:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home