Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Not happy, Jan.


So I'm already thinking of leaving the teaching agency I currently work for. I don't particularly like one of the consultants/directors and the manner in which she speaks to me (she's got a bitchy English accent and sounds like she has razorblades stuffed down her throat). There was (until today!) another consultant I worked closely with who was lovely and much more helpful/nice, but when I rang this afternoon to speak to her I was told that she had left the job to go elsewhere!!! Another omen I think.

The main reason is that in the short time I've been working for them, I've already been stuffed around majorly. Earlier in the week I was offered a regular 2 day stint at a school as a floating relief (which is great because you're not stuck in the one class all day and it goes quickly). I was told to start on Wednesday. Then late Tuesday afternoon, I get a voice message from the nasty consultant, telling me that it didn't begin till next week and she gave me details of where I was heading on Wednesday instead.

Not happy Jan. Firstly, she didn't even ask if I wanted to take it, just left a message (and then left the office early!) saying blah blah blah here's where it is, here's how to get there, ta ta. Secondly, it was in zone 4 (Anerley?). I only work in zone 1-2 and for a good reason, because transport gets too expensive to go out that far. Thirdly, I was going to have to take another overlander (20 minute ride alone, not including the 15 minutes to get to Victoria tube from Fulham Broadway) to a train station nowhere near the school and walk a good 15 min - half an hour to get there. With the crappy weather we have had this week, I wasn't looking forward to it (I don't mind the walk usually), but thought I'd just let it slide this once as I try to think of the money I'll earn.

So Wednesday morning comes, I leave the house at 7am and arrive at Victoria station to catch this overlander. No worries, I'm there 20 minutes early and settle in listening to my iPod (which was turned down quite low). Train leaves Victoria, halfway to the first stop on the train route I hear my phone ringing. I answer, its this consultant I'm not fond of. Then she tells me that the school "overbooked" supply teachers and only needs 1, not 2. She tells me this on the way to the school!!! Apparently had she not rung the school to check other details I would have turned up none the wiser.

Here comes the best bit. I get told to get off the overlander at the next stop and head north on the tube instead to another job at another school! Out of sheer luck, the back up teaching job they were sending me to is on the same tube line as the next overlander train stop (Brixton, which also has an underground station, shudder). It was going to be another half an hour on the tube up to Finsbury Park. Had I passed the Brixton stop on the overlander, I don't know what they would have done. I'm sure they were thanking their stars I wasn't too far along on the overlander. I totally flipped, here I was on the overlander, scribbling details of this random school on my Metro morning newspaper (which I pick up every morning as I hop on the tube, its free), my mobile in one hand, iPod going and I'm about to arrive at the Brixton stop. The worst thing was she hardly sounded apologetic and then passed me onto someone else on the phone (obviously to avoid me going nuts at her) to tell me directions to get there.

My flatmate Amy works for a larger agency, who were recommended to me by someone I worked with last year. The only thing that put me off was that when I contacted them way back in August last year, they never chased me up or sent me the information I requested. They didn't act like they wanted me, so I thought it wasn't worth it. But Amy was just called by her agency and offered a couple of days in a Fulham school!!! Literally 5 minutes away! She had to turn it down as she had accepted other work from a school, but I don't even think my agency has any Fulham schools on their books.

In the upcoming Easter holidays I'm booking in for interviews with more agencies. I'll see how it goes first, I've got to email my CV in this week. I'll keep with this agency also, but whether I accept work from them is another thing. I just want more local work and a more reliable agency I'm afraid. The last couple of days have been quite off putting and unprofessional.

It has rained for 2 days straight, which puts a dampener on your mood because you're out walking in the rain with a backpack and umbrella to work, even worse still if you haven't been to the school before and are constantly referring to your London A-Z (street directory over here, its like my bible) without getting it wet.

3 of my flatmates are going away Saturday/Sunday for a friends birthday. They're doing an overnight horse riding trip in Wales, but the weather is supposed to be awful all weekend too. I'm inviting a couple of friends over here to see the place and we'll go out in Fulham and they can crash here overnight.

Our housewarming invites are in the process of being sent out as well, its being held on March 25th. Will take lots of photos for everyone, including some of all the housemates together for the 1st time! Think I have my outfit sorted (good considering I'm really not impressed with the 'dressy' clothes here right now) so that's one less drama.

I've been here 6 weeks! Can you believe it?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi

u dont sound happy at all!!!

i would be pissed off escpically from coming from australia where u know noone and not fimilar with the area i would ahve gone off!!!

i hope my invite to the house warming is in the mail.

hope u have a better week

love ree

4:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey!

geez sounds like you're having a hell of a time at the moment! ive made a mental note not to go with that angency if and when i go to london. hope the new one is heaps better!

i see your mum every now and then at work and catch up on your goss with her :)

hope the housewarming goes well, say hi to meegs for me.

enjoy

luv sus xo

7:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle - all agents are bastards!

I was warned by my Dad, but they really are.
One agency that i'm with has done the run around on me 3 times. Promising work for four weeks and then not delivering. My favourite: they booked me in for an interview with a client, so I turned up at the agency 30 minutes before hand (taking me 45 mins to get there) and they tell me that the position was filled last week.

I guess the thing to take out of it, is don't be afraid to both say no, and secondly, hassel them. I think just being more aggressive helps!

Just so frustrating! Arghhhhh!

3:11 pm  
Blogger Michelle said...

Which agency are you with?

My next entry isn't going to be much better, sadly. Had a wonderful morning and then hellish in the afternoon!

4:44 pm  
Blogger Rikki said...

i wish it was the good ole days when people were polite and there was no war

12:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michelle i'm with quite a few agencies: Julia Ross, two offices of the Office Angels, PJF, and every now and then I also get calls from random agencies because my profile is up on totaljobs.com.

And I still haven't any proper interview for permanent positions!

1:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! »

3:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home