Saturday, February 18, 2006

These boots are made for walking


For the last few days we have had an American model staying in the house. Basically, Steph O (who hasn’t arrived from Australia yet) wanted someone to cover her rent for the weeks prior to her arrival. So the other girls put an ad on the Gumtree (the website where everyone advertises rooms for let in London) for a short term let. Lina (the model) replied and is now staying with us for 2 weeks. Well she’s not really here much, she flies out to Egypt for a photo shoot next week and has been running around London going to various castings.

She’s really lovely and totally not the model type (which is what I was worried about). Actually she reminds me a bit of Gwen Stefani, she has that street, slightly punk California look with the white blonde hair. Tonight Linas’s invited us all out with some of her friends in London, which includes the prince of Persia (talk about random friends!). We’re probably going to Fabric, a club over here which is pretty big and popular – even better still, we’re getting VIP entry and VIP tables…so we may even see a few UK celebs (well known hang out for them so I’m told). Should be an interesting night!

In other random news, I tried flapjacks the other day. Before I left Mum told me about flapjacks and said that the best flapjacks in London were from Marks & Spencer. Now I thought a flapjack was the American word for pancakes, but over here a flapjack is very similar to an Anzac biscuit – a combination of rolled oats, butter, golden syrup etc. Flapjacks are softer and sweeter than an Anzac biscuit though and come in a slice or a square. They are so good! You can get plain butter ones, chocolate ones, banana and yoghurt ones…but if you ever come to London you have to get them! Add that to my list of guilty pleasures.

I talk about food a lot don’t I?

Last night I went out with a few girls who have also come over here from Australia alone. We went out to Napule, a traditional Italian restaurant in Fulham. When people order multiple wood fired pizzas they combine them in one long rectangular pizza. We ordered 3 different types and when the pizza came out, it was literally the length of our table. We also had some bruschetta for starters as they don’t serve garlic bread in traditional restaurants, much to our embarrassment when we asked for some.

After dinner we headed to Elk as the other girls hadn’t been there before. Walked home at about midnight and crashed into bed. Today I’m doing all the mundane daily things like washing, cleaning, grocery shopping etc.

I had better also tell you about my new love, my boots! There is a small Italian shoe boutique just behind the Fulham Broadway tube station, I discovered it last week while going to the post office. Ever since I arrived in London I’ve been scouring all the shoe stores looking for a pair of flat boots. I walked past the window of this store and my perfect dream pair of boots were in the window (on sale)!!! They’re a caramel/toffee colour, knee high, suede, pointy, flat and fit like a dream. You can scrunch them down or wear them up over your jeans and are amazingly comfortable. That’s them in the photo, they have cardboard ant tissue paper stuffed in them to help keep their shape. Yesterday I also picked up a new jacket (because I only have my big black overcoat which is quite dressy) for only 8 pounds! It’s a chocolate brown bomber style jacket, with aqua green lining and has an Eskimo hood (with the fur lining the outside). Its really warm and great to chuck on when you’re heading out briefly.

What else? Oh, the Brit Awards were on the other night and were held at Earls Court (the next tube stop up from Fulham Broadway). Paris Hilton was there (after being hit with flour by anti-fur protestors at London Fashion Week), Kanye West (with something like 50 girls in bikinis and spray painted in gold), James Blunt, Coldplay, Madonna, Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys (new band over here who are the next big thing)…it was massive. Its really strange to have all these bands in London all the time – James Blunt just did a tour, Kanye West played at Hammersmith Apollo which is like 10 minutes away), Nickelback and Bon Jovi are coming soon…its really hard to keep up with all the people who are touring. Unlike at home, where if someone remotely big comes to perform its big news. They really are spoiled for choice over here – apart from Coldplay L Chris Martin said at the Brit awards that the band were having a break for a year or so and they’re not touring around the UK as far as I know this year. I’m so disappointed because I know they’re going to Perth and I really want to see them live. I was looking at the ARIA chart yesterday (its in the TNT magazine we get over here) and some guy called Chris Brown is #1? Can anyone tell me who he is and what the song is, I’ve never heard of him before?

PS: If you are leaving a comment in my blog and don’t have a Blogger account, choose ‘Other’ when you are replying as it lets you type in your name, rather than anonymous.

PPS: Oh my god I just read Mum's email telling me about Ben Cousins little DUI incident! Can't wait for the football to begin...how is pre season going? Have they played the Wizard Cup finals yet?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey michelle

luuuurve the boots, i saw some nice chocolate brown robert robert one the other day which i'm thinking about getting (putting on layby actually)

that chris brown song is called run it. It is hip/hop r and b... u should download it to hear it!

No news from me, i'll send u an email soon to keep u updated bout everything...

love katie x

PS your social life sounds sooooo great!!

PPS i'm going to 50 cent this wednesday!!

2:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi michelle

thanks for the card!!!

missing u heaps

house is good and will talk soon

busy as had a week off work

love marie

12:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi michelle

thanks for the card!!!

missing u heaps

house is good and will talk soon

busy as had a week off work

love marie

12:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
Love the photo of Benny, must show Carol at work tonight!! You will be very proficient at tube catching in no time! Talk to you soon.Love Mum xx

2:54 am  
Blogger Steamboat Lion said...

Lions beat Essendon by 1 pt in the first round of the Wizard - Demons in Melbourne this week.

Jared Brennan is looking good 9god I hope he can stay uninjured this season). I reckon Aka is going to win the Brownlow again this year.

The boots are nice, but I wouldn't wear them to the footy!

1:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home