Monday, March 13, 2006

Read this book!


Well today has restored my faith in English kids! I had such a gorgeous class at a school in Wimbledon, much more like working at home! Plus it was on the same tube line (District) as Fulham and took less than half an hour to get there. Shame there's not more work on offer there, but I've made it known I really want to go back there. I was speaking to another Aussie teacher at lunch who works for the same agency as me - we talked about dodgy schools and she rattled off the worst 3 she had been to in 5 months of working. Lo and behold, it was the 3 schools the agency were trying to send me to regularly up until the end of last week when I said I'd had enough.

Went out with Renae on Saturday night to the Slug & Lettuce for the first time, had a few Snakebites (this drink made from Strongbow beer and cranberry juice, which was only 2 pounds a pint = cheap night out) and danced away to cheesy old classics like 'Uptown Girl' by Billy Joel. I wouldn't go back in a hurry though (unless to watch the footy in the day time) because it was a bit too much like the OBH on a Sunday for me. A word of warning, Snakebites will literally come back to bite you in the morning. Worst migraine headache in a long time. But every one has to have a few snakebites when they get here, it's like a right of passage for every Australian!

I actually saw Australia on the TV this morning! It was footage of the Queen opening a new wing at the Sydney Opera House. The news bulletin were saying that John Howard isn't very 'hands on' with the Queen compared to past Prime Minister's blah blah blah. I thought it was quite funny, because since I've been here there has been no news about the Queen at all - yet at home you'd hear about the Royal Family quite often?

Oh and I read in this week's TNT magazine that Jana Pittman wants to pull a 'Jelena Dockic' and disown Australia and move away to England. God help the poor Brits, no one should have to suffer that self-obsessed over rated drama queen. Disappear already.

St. Patrick's Day is on this week, so the girls (meaning the flatmates) want to try and go to Brogan's, an Aussie/Irish pub in Fulham. It's probably going to be packed out before 2pm, so if not we'll find somewhere else local to celebrate Steph O's heritage (she's on an Irish passport as her parents are Irish). Her cousin is also coming over from Ireland for the weekend, so we're taking him out on Saturday night which should be fun.

Hahaha and I just remembered, in other local Fulham news, Joe Scully lives here! Remember Joe Scully, husband of Lynn from Neighbours, who was notoriously sacked after the TV execs found out he had a serious drug habit (and went to live on 'the farm' on the show and was never seen again)?! He lives in Fulham! It's sort of common knowledge amongst the local Aussies (I only just found out though) and a couple of the girls came home the other day saying they'd seen him out having coffee when they were out jogging. That's obviously where his courtroom pay out went...

Don't know if I mentioned this to everyone but a few weeks ago I went to the hairdresser and got my hair coloured all over. I am officially a total brunette, which completely freaked me out as I have been blonde/light for about 4-5 years now? The colour was so dark at first and I hated it, but its faded lots and I'm slowly getting used to it. Its hard maintaining your hair in London, especially foils/blonde colours as a) the weather ruins your hair and b) hairdressers charge like wounded bulls here. I don't know how long I'll be able to stick with it though before getting bored with the same all over colour.

It's still really cold at the moment, but its way worse up north where they're having record snowfalls and cities are being shut down due to the blizzards. I can handle it (better) when its not raining, so I'm okay right now.

We're booking our Robbie Williams/Paris trip this week which is exciting, finally I have a 'holiday' on the horizon! Oh and during the Easter break I want to do some touristy London stuff (as I really haven't done any yet), so if anyone can recommend a good London day trip/bus/sight seeing tour they've been on or know of leave me a note in my blog.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi darling

can i come to paris and see robbie williams??

my parents arrive in london in about a weeks time u nver know ui may bump into them!!!

not much too report about home!!! painting tonight very boring let me assure u!!!

well i better do some more work or ill be in trouble

love and hugs

marie

8:27 am  
Blogger Michelle said...

What are they doing in this neck of the woods? Tell them to bring lots of warm clothes!!!

5:06 pm  
Blogger PardonmYspAnish said...

i heard jana finally went completely comatose with those crazy eyelids and never woke up.

But, y'know, people say things.

1:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home